I turn 40 this week…hard for me to believe also. So I thought I’d start by giving you 40 fun facts about me and my life. After all it’s my birthday-week, so if it’s gonna be all about me, I might as well have fun with it…
1. I’ve probably had more jobs than 5 of you combined. From shipping baby announcements to engraving pens, I’ve done it.
2. Though I’ve never broken a bone, I’ve had back surgery.
3. My first car was a ’79 vette. Chevette. With no reverse.
4. I hated everyday of high school.
5. Sentences starting with an H are hard for me to get out because of my stuttering.
6. My earliest memory involves a sport I don’t really care for – basketball.
7. I’ve only shot a real gun once. Out of the 8 rounds I hit the skeet 7 times.
8. Starting in about 4th grade, I made terrible grades in school but I always tested well.
9. I don’t remember any of the Hebrew I learned in seminary even though I made pretty good grades in my classes.
10. I prefer cold weather to warm.
11. I’ve fought insecurity about every facet of my life since I can remember.
12. I get choked up very, very easily while watching a movie or TV show and resist watching movies I know are designed to do this.
13. When we moved form Birmingham in 2000, I was ready to leave. Now that we are back, I never want to.
14. A great evening is sitting out in the cool of the night and listening to Billie Holiday.
15. I wish I was more of a neat freak.
16. Sometimes my mind shifts from contemplative to lazy without me knowing it.
17. I eat peanut butter and cheese sandwiches every now and then.
18. I question the judgment of those who like CSI:Miami.
19. The only other country I’ve been to is Canada.
20. I read a lot of the same books over and over.
21. I prefer a good burger over steak.
22. Flying is not a favorite. Landing is good though.
23. I was mountains over beach till this last family trip down to the 30A.
24. Even if I could afford it, I wouldn’t do much shopping at Whole Foods.
25. I’ve seen It’s a Wonderful Life about 100 times.
26. Every day I look forward to getting in bed and reading.
27. I worry about my kids more than I should.
28. I’ve never voted for a Democrat.
29. Barbecue pork is a staple.
30. When my son says he doesn’t want to go to school, I agree with him on the inside while telling him he will have fun.
31. I have a book deal.
32. I named my son after Bob Dylan because my wife would not go for Van Morrison.
33. I have an arch enemy.
34. Coming up with these 40 is hard. And that is a little depressing.
35. My favorite book of the Bible is Romans.
36. Books about art theft are a favorite.
37. I can’t sleep without a fan humming in the room.
38. I’d rather be with my wife while doing something boring than be without her doing something interesting.
39. I worry about publicly failing at my new job.
40. I’m pretty much always hungry.