Tuesday’s 10: Talented Musicians I Don’t Like

(I know this is going out late today. No power at the house thanks to Lee. I’m at the library now with all the other serial killers. Hopefully the rest of my posts will happen earlier.)

And when I say don’t like ’em, I mean just that. They are just meh. I don’t hate the music they make, I just can’t seem to care about it much.

These are all super talented people. I just don’t like their music enough to ever miss it. Maybe’s it me. Maybe I’ll like it at some later time. Maybe I’ll win the lottery, get that pet dragon I’ve always wanted and my wife will dress up as Princess Leia (ROTJ?) for Halloween.

Regardless, here they are…

1. The Avett Brothers. I just don’t get it. OK, OK, they have a few songs that are pretty decent. But hipsters quote them like they are the Oracle of Delphi. I’ve literally tried a dozen times to get into them. All were failures.

2. Sufjan Stevens. While some of his music is interesting, I need more than interesting. Talented? Yes. It’s just all too clever and ironic and quirky.  I get the feeling he’s bored with music (much like Radiohead) and now is just trying to get people’s attention. The whole edgy ‘christian’ musician using profanity to shock is tired.

3. Mumford and Sons. I’d rather listen to Taylor Swift any day. Seriously. On paper, it appears as if I should love this band but I don’t. I do have hope for their second album.

4. The Fleet Foxes. The first time I listened to their album, I liked what I heard. But with every subsequent listen, I enjoyed it less and less till now I’d rather listen to silence. Often beautiful but never does it grab me.

5. Rush. Sorry, outside of Tom Sawyer, it’s just painful. Maybe if I were a musician, I would like ’em.

6. John Mayer. Guitarists swear this guy is awesome and I’ve heard a few songs that prove he has some serious guitar playing skills. But I’ve always felt like he’s just using music to bed women. However, my wife does often sing “Your Body Is A Wonderland” to me.

7. Jimi Hendrix. I have a lot of respect for the guy, just don’t like anything I’ve heard. Actually I prefer to hear other people do his songs.

8. Paul Simon. The Obvious Child is a great song but really no other song I’ve ever heard makes me want to play it again. Even the new album which lots of folks are raving over escapes me.

9. Arcade Fire. I can’t remember the last time someone said anything about them. This makes total sense to me.

10. Nickelback. I just don’t get why you hipsters like ’em so much.

9 thoughts on “Tuesday’s 10: Talented Musicians I Don’t Like

1. Jacob Riggs September 6, 2011 / 8:53 pm

What is it that makes us like something or dislike something that others love? Tastes are weird!

2. Matthew B. Redmond September 6, 2011 / 8:58 pm

Jacob,Great question. I tend to doubt my own abilities to hear the greatness others are hearing.

3. Jeremy September 6, 2011 / 9:06 pm

This is exactly how I feel about U2, oddly enough.

4. Jason Haggard September 6, 2011 / 9:09 pm

Rush – I like them. I am a musician, though.Mayer – I used to not like him. Now, I do. I started liking him a) when I saw him touring as Herbie Hancock's guitar player, and b) when he came out with the Trio stuff and Continuum. That's the bidness. As far as Mayer using music to get chicks, you'd be hard pressed to find a musician who isn't. Some are better at it than others. All guy musicians started in order to impress girls. Some failed (me) and others' motives evolved, but all guys picked up their instrument to get chicks. Even band geeks (band geek chicks, but still chicks. Hendrix – I like him ok, but I'm not that into him. I love a few of his songs, but almost never get a hankerin' for his music. I tend to reach for other stuff. . . U2, Aretha, Oteil & the Peacemakers, Mayer, etc.

5. Sam Morris September 6, 2011 / 9:30 pm

Hipsters like Nickelback… Pardon me whilst I vomit.

6. Chad Molen September 6, 2011 / 11:29 pm

Matt you lost me for the first 4 but agree on the rest. I'm with Jeremy I would add U2 to my list. Weird though because after you introduced me to that Coldplay live album I fell in love with them but only their live stuff!

7. Jamie September 7, 2011 / 5:34 pm

This post is a little surprising. I seriously can't believe you don't like The Avett Bros. Or – Mumford & Sons. Whoa.

8. C-Dub Collins September 8, 2011 / 1:36 pm

"Great question. I tend to doubt my own abilities to hear the greatness others are hearing." — You might not ever forgive me for this, but I feel the same way about my own inability to hear the greatness that you hear in Van Morrison.