I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought, and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder. — G.K. Chesterton
We all have so much to be thankful for. Sometimes the difficulties and disappointments that come our way with life-changing force make it hard to see the goodness of God through the veil of tears. So it’s good to have a season where you remind yourself of what we have to be thankful for.
Every Most Some nights we have sat at the table and shared what we are thankful for this month. It can get hilarious. Anyway here are some random things I’m thankful for…
1. I’m thankful for the wind that blows the leaves out of our yard into our neighbor’s yard because they have teenagers who can rake them up.
2. I’m thankful for the way my wife’s hair takes on a reddish edge in the bright sun light. It’s hard to explain but it has the feel of seeing her for the first time all over again.
3. I’m thankful for friends who when we go out to eat, don’t eat everything but eat too much for there to be enough to take it home and so I make sure I sit real close to those friends.
4. I’m thankful my wife is a fantastic cook because we cannot afford to go out to eat a whole lot.
5. I’m thankful for my books for which I wouldn’t trade the grandest of vacations.
6. I’m thankful for a God who rescues those of us who resist it.
7. I’m thankful for bluesy guitar work that pushes against the darkness in ways I cannot understand.
8. I’m thankful for the hide button on Facebook and the mute button on Twitter.
9. I’m thankful for my kids’ laughter.
10. I’m thankful for coffee without which nothing.
11. I’m thankful for the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade because it’s the best excuse to stop cleaning up before family comes over.
12. I’m thankful for my brothers and sister-in-laws and nieces and nephews on this first holiday season without my parents. Keeps those orphan blues at bay.
13. I’m thankful for the Jason Hayward trade.
14. I’m thankful for the Psalms in which I’ve seen myself and God more.
15. I’m thankful there is a dawn after the long dark night of the soul.
16. I’m thankful for the God-given skill of putting anything in a taco.
17. I’m thankful for Mystery Road which I’ve been listening to for 25 years.
18. I’m thankful for grilled leftover turkey, cranberry sauce, and cream cheese sandwiches.
19. I’m thankful I live in the city I love the most.
20. I’m thankful for the hope, undeserved, by which we make our way in this world till the end of our days and see the One hoped for, face-to-face.