1. I just watched No Direction Home again. It’s probably my 5th time to watch Scorsese’s documentary on Bob Dylan. And this time I saw something new. Dylan didn’t want to be an insider of any movement. Everyone wanted to be an insider with him and his circle. But he didn’t want any such thing. That’s something. Seems almost holy, if only by it, we mean “set apart.”
2. After losing half my goal for #2015, I gained it all back in one meal of pizza.
3. Book two is called The God of All My Tomorrows: A Memoir of Worry.
4. I miss telling my parents good news about the kids. I miss my mom’s easy tears of joy. And my dad’s ready smile.
5. If you cannot follow the money, you will see something extraordinary.
6. My wife made homemade yogurt. Next thing ya know, we’ll be raising chickens next to the compost pile. If she starts talking like Ann Voskamp, we’re gonna need a counselor.
7. Last year I read a lot of Hemingway, Buechner, and Marilynne Robinson and they have ruined me.
8. It is so strange to be told your book is “life-giving” while looking for life in other’s words yourself because the work you get paid for is sapping you of life. It’s nice to hear, of course. But strange what it brings.
9. I am the most thankful for prayer when it seems to be only thing I have for a given situation.
10. This weekend we will have seven 3rd grade boys spend the night at our house. And it’s supposed to rain. Prayers appreciated.