1. The beauty of Brennan Manning’s memoir is how it rings with the same tones of all the biblical “heroes.” It’s not pretty. The failures are stark. And the grace of the Gospel takes center stage.
2. I am truly afraid God has placed me in a situation where I must existentially deal with the propositions of my own book. Sometimes I can laugh about this. But often it is a very dark thought.
3. My weekend came with all the emotion of a vacation, which is nice because I’ll get another next week.
4. My social media feeds have devolved into a constant discussion of race and pornography wrapped in a Buzzfeed style of Christianity with numbered lists churning out new laws for us and everyone else to break.
5. I’m glad I’ve relearned the simple joy of opening a pack of baseball cards.
6. Please stop trying to write like Ann Voskamp.
7. I want my kids to experience grace and not the well-oiled machine of American moral religion. But I’m not sure how to do that apart from communicating forgiveness even more than the rules.
8. There are a lot reasons I enjoy the music of Van Morrison. The lack of politics and social issues is not the least of reasons.
9. It’s normal to look forward to the weekend and buying baseball cards, right?
10. I would rather fail at life in the eyes of the watching world and be with my wife than enjoy all that is considered success. I’d rather do without, with her.