1. It has dawned on me that my desire to listen to old music on vinyl on an old phonograph has something to do with that music being made to be listened to that way.
2. I realized something hard yesterday. I’m not very good at my job yet. And a large part of my job is helping people who are not very good at their job. My attitude and bent towards ridicule of them is in opposition to my desire for others to have patience with me. That was a hard thing to see.
3. My favorite Christmas music right now is Dave Brubeck and the Vince Gueraldi Trio in case you were wondering if I’m growing old.
4. I’m never hungrier than the day after Thanksgiving. It’s like my stomach got revved up and then is expecting more than just a day of feasting. And I don’t wanna let my stomach down. We’ve been through so much together.
5. I was listening to an interview with Dave Brubeck, who is known all over the world for being one of the greatest figures in Jazz ever. What’s amazing is he could never read music. But he could compose. And improvise. My God, could he improvise. Hearing this helped me relax about my inability to grasp and use grammar rules. Here I am a published author, who gets paid to write and I have no idea what to do with quotes and colons and commas.
6. You keep talking about these politicians as if any of them can trusted.
7. My parents have been gone a while now. I haven’t reached for the phone to call them in a long time. But so much seems off kilter this time of year. My mom would want to come and see our tree every year. It was the same damn tree every year. But it was an excuse to enjoy it with us. And I miss their unmatched kindness
8. If my first thought/emotion towards anyone is fear and not a desire to love, I am out of step with the One who came to be killed by his enemies so he could save them.
9. Some people may think it’s weird how I will listen to an artist almost exclusively for a month and then move on to someone else. I think it’s weird you do that with TV shows.
10. Sometimes I look over and see my wife sitting or lying next to me and wonder how this can be. How can I have done so poorly in other parts of my life? And yet still get to enjoy her company daily. Wonder of wonders.
1. I’m not sure what it is about the James Bond movies that pastors would find appealing. Maybe it’s the wanton violence. The sexy chicks? Vengeance? Probably just special effects good enough to not be bothered by all the other stuff.
2. As Christians we are called to love our enemies without qualification. Not easy. But when it comes to politics. We don’t even seem to be trying.
3. I don’t remember what it was like for rain to not be falling.
4. My wife doesn’t agree with me when I say she is universally thought of as beautiful. It’s not just me.
5. Bob Dylan’s “Time Out Of Mind” is a perfect rainy day soundtrack. Actually just a perfect soundtrack.
6. Maybe Christians are not taken seriously on many social issues because when we are threatened we cling to a weapon and not the cross alone.
7. I always hope my boss is at work. This is very different than before.
8. I’ve been reading the Gospels lately. Thinking about them a lot. You cannot escape the fact that Jesus went easy on prostitutes compared to his treatment of religious leaders who continually added rules to control their followers.
9. It’s been over a week since I’ve had pizza. This is quite a feat for me.
10. Evangelicals are hard on prosperity preachers but our pastors are very prosperous. None take the steps Rich Mullins took. They are monied. Maybe that’s okay. I don’t know anymore.
1. As I organize these thoughts I’m listening to a 1964 version of The Times They Are a-Changin’ and it sounds more Christian than what you would expect.
2. The goal is to never forget the pure crystal clear misery I experienced in my previous job. And may I deal with others who may be experiencing a similar misery without forgetting with grace and mercy.
3. A depression settled over me earlier this week and I couldn’t figure out what it was. And then I remembered baseball season was over.
4. I have been in church all my life and have never heard a sermon on non-violence towards my enemy.
5. Our local school system will be rezoning soon. They are pretending to listen to parents. But they can and will do whatever they want. And forcibly take our money through taxes making it all but impossible but for a few to choose something different.
6. Jesus was killed for the sake of God and Country.
7. Books and records while the children sleep.
8. Is it crazy for me to be uncomfortable with pastors who make significantly more than me, asking/pleading with me to give?
9. The cold is coming. The clear nights. And an alive-ness to the night so still you can hear the heartbeat of other lives through bare branches.
10. This past week I talked very briefly with a parent whose child was sexually abused while a part of SGM. I could hear a hopelessness for any kind of justice this side of eternity. And I ask you to remember the absolute silence of thecelebrity pastors and CJ Mahaney before you share an article by them on social media.
11. My wife’s smile has healing powers.