Thursday’s Random Thoughts

1. As I organize these thoughts I’m listening to a 1964 version of The Times They Are a-Changin’ and it sounds more Christian than what you would expect.

2. The goal is to never forget the pure crystal clear misery I experienced in my previous job. And may I deal with others who may be experiencing a similar misery without forgetting with grace and mercy.

3. A depression settled over me earlier this week and I couldn’t figure out what it was. And then I remembered baseball season was over.

4. I have been in church all my life and have never heard a sermon on non-violence towards my enemy.

5. Our local school system will be rezoning soon. They are pretending to listen to parents. But they can and will do whatever they want. And forcibly take our money through taxes making it all but impossible but for a few to choose something different.

6. Jesus was killed for the sake of God and Country.

7. Books and records while the children sleep.

8. Is it crazy for me to be uncomfortable with pastors who make significantly more than me, asking/pleading with me to give?

9. The cold is coming. The clear nights. And  an alive-ness to the night so still you can hear the heartbeat of other lives through bare branches.

10. This past week I talked very briefly with a parent whose child was sexually abused while a part of SGM. I could hear a hopelessness for any kind of justice this side of eternity. And I ask you to remember the absolute silence of thecelebrity pastors and CJ Mahaney before you share an article by them on social media.

11. My wife’s smile has healing powers.

8 thoughts on “Thursday’s Random Thoughts

1. Dudley Harris November 5, 2015 / 9:45 am

#11 It’s why God made marriage.

2. Cobber2076 November 5, 2015 / 10:24 am

#8 Yes. It should also make those pastors uncomfortable.

3. Cobber2076 November 5, 2015 / 10:26 am

Re: #8 I meant “no.” You’re not crazy.

4. Anna November 5, 2015 / 1:57 pm

#9 – On Tuesday, we were biking on a local paved trail on a perfect “indian summer” day here in the North. As the sun set (far too early), the only sound was the rush of wind past our ears and the smooth tires on the still-warm pavement. Our weak bike “headlights” barely lit the trail before us, and the twilight slowly swallowed us up as we tried to chase the dying fire of the sunset in the west.

5. Dan from Georgia November 6, 2015 / 12:09 pm

No, you are not crazy for being uncomfortable…regarding number 8. We should all be wary of these hucksters. Unfortunately, where I live in Georgia, you can’t throw a rock without hitting a huckster rich pastor bilking the less fortunate out of their money using false promises of getting back 100-fold!

6. 2samuel127 November 12, 2015 / 1:27 am

Thanks for #10. I wonder why this is not clear to all?

7. brentdetwiler November 21, 2015 / 2:17 pm

I’ve interacted with multiple victims of sex abuse in SGM and they are hopeless justice will be served. The multi layered cover up continues. Thanks for speaking out Matt!

8. Melody November 23, 2015 / 10:32 am

I appreciate you stating number 10.