2. I realized something hard yesterday. I’m not very good at my job yet. And a large part of my job is helping people who are not very good at their job. My attitude and bent towards ridicule of them is in opposition to my desire for others to have patience with me. That was a hard thing to see.
3. My favorite Christmas music right now is Dave Brubeck and the Vince Gueraldi Trio in case you were wondering if I’m growing old.
4. I’m never hungrier than the day after Thanksgiving. It’s like my stomach got revved up and then is expecting more than just a day of feasting. And I don’t wanna let my stomach down. We’ve been through so much together.
5. I was listening to an interview with Dave Brubeck, who is known all over the world for being one of the greatest figures in Jazz ever. What’s amazing is he could never read music. But he could compose. And improvise. My God, could he improvise. Hearing this helped me relax about my inability to grasp and use grammar rules. Here I am a published author, who gets paid to write and I have no idea what to do with quotes and colons and commas.
6. You keep talking about these politicians as if any of them can trusted.
7. My parents have been gone a while now. I haven’t reached for the phone to call them in a long time. But so much seems off kilter this time of year. My mom would want to come and see our tree every year. It was the same damn tree every year. But it was an excuse to enjoy it with us. And I miss their unmatched kindness
8. If my first thought/emotion towards anyone is fear and not a desire to love, I am out of step with the One who came to be killed by his enemies so he could save them.
9. Some people may think it’s weird how I will listen to an artist almost exclusively for a month and then move on to someone else. I think it’s weird you do that with TV shows.
10. Sometimes I look over and see my wife sitting or lying next to me and wonder how this can be. How can I have done so poorly in other parts of my life? And yet still get to enjoy her company daily. Wonder of wonders.