2. News of a new Jason Isbell album and tickets to see him at the Ryman are welcome news during a work week that made me want to listen to all his songs with the bad words.
3. I could be wrong but I think a sign of spiritual maturity is not wanting to argue on social media.
4. The steadfast love of the Lord is better than financial security.
5. The problem with baseball is how few games there are.
6. I was talking with my friend, Corey, the other night about music. He’s a musician, so these discussions are always interesting. I walked away from his insights realizing at least one reason why some songwriters are at a level of creating of life-changing art and others are not. You can trust them. People like Jason Isbell are rare. It is not mere entertainment or fame they are after. They are creating something from a place beyond the surface level of this culture. All their failures and weaknesses, skill and success are calculated toward creating something akin to literature for the ages.
7. Christians should be more offended by unkindness and gossip than by culturally-conditioned profanity. Far more.
8. Fantasy baseball draft is today, so I hope you have been using the prayer cards I mailed out, just so you know how to specifically pray for me and my team.
9. The new Tedeschi Trucks Band live album is mesmerizingly good. Joyous and full of transcendent moments. Adding to my enjoyment is it was given to me as a “Thank you” gift for my writing. That makes the listening so much more enjoyable.
10. There is a lot in life, when evaluated, seems off kilter. Out of balance. Something’s not right. But sitting at the dinner table with Bethany and the kids seems in place. Maybe that’s history. Maybe it’s a createdness we ignore. Not a command. But maybe like sunsets, we should pay attention to this.