1. I have a lot of new students so I’ve been trying to get to know them this first week of school. I’ve also been letting them put me on the “hot seat” so they can get to know me. A student asked me what my dream job would be. I told them, “I’m doing it right now.”
2. I have not been a fan of Josh Garrels’ music. While I have been a fan of him as a person, his music has too often veered into a hip-hop sound for me to stomach it. But that changed this week with his new album Chrysaline. It is beautiful. All at once devotional and theological, it is something beyond the normal fare. The lyrics are dripping with Scripture and when not, they are pulling from old hymns. His singing and the tone of the songs remind me of Bon Iver’ For Emma, Forever Ago and Radiohead’s Moon Shaped Pool. But there are also moments with what I can only call an ancient sound. Monastic? Maybe because he often sings without a clear melody but with only sounds in the background. Sometimes I need music to help me punch a hole in the sky. But at other times, I need music to help me rest. I need all the help I can get to rest in the love of God for me. This si that kind of album. He is giving the album away for free till 8/20. Go get it here.
3. It makes more sense to talk about the glories of food and drink than movies and television.
4. I told my 7th graders yesterday, “I want you to walk into Old Testament every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and be able to take a deep breath and then I want you to walk out of Old Testament with a sense of wonder.” And I get a little choked up because I want that too.
5. When your kids are old enough to no longer need a babysitter, you can afford to drink something besides water and then take the long way home.
6. We started homeschooling our two oldest this past week and I think I’m their favorite teacher.
7. Once the Christian does the right thing the wrong way it is no longer the right thing.
8. I think a good question to ask yourself is, “Am I being shaped – my emotions, my thoughts, my ideas, my convictions, my dreams of the good life – by what the world beams into my phone or am I being shaped by the Scriptures?”
9. Being able to talk to your daughter about the faithfulness of God in the lives of Abraham and Job because of her Bible Doctrine class is priceless.
10. We have a King and we are citizens of a kingdom of hope and joy and peace. I forget this almost every day.
Good to have you back!
Yes it is!
Not sure how old your homeschool children are, but I HS mine through the jr high years til 10 grade.
What a gift of time together, as parent/teacher and kid but also as siblings together.
I believe my kids are still best friends as married people, becoming parents, etc…makes a momma’s (and dad’s) heart smile and a thrill 😍