1. Because our desires are infinite, we will never have enough money if that is our desire. Or drugs. Or alcohol. or sex. Or respect. But Jesus, Who is infinite, is all at once satisfying and yet can always give us more of himself.
2. One of the most surprising things about counseling is how much I learn from my clients. Often, their learned wisdom is illuminating. I learned early not to assume I have all the answers, even though I am sure of a path to take.
3. Maybe the best way to fight against a celebrity culture is to pray for celebrities. I’m serious. Pick one and pray for them to know the joy of a life marked by the love of Jesus. Wisdom would tell us to choose one we do not like at all. The one who annoys us the most. The one doing the most damage in our estimation. They too are image-bearers, full of hurts and fears and insecurities, needing the clemency of the King.
4. You can learn a great deal about modern man by reading the ancients.
5. The other night I dreamed I was sick and it was serious. Deadly serious. But I was at peace in that dream because I knew I had nothing to fear. I would like to live up to that dream when the day comes.
6. If we have no money but have Jesus, we are safe. If we have riches but do not have Jesus, we are in danger.
7. As I approach 50 years old I wonder when I will stop doing stupid stuff. I know the answer and look forward to that day.
8. When I stop worrying about how I look and instead seek to make my presence an extension of the ministry of Christ to others, I can be at peace in any social situation.
9. If Jesus needed time alone to pray, I assume I need it even more.
10. Loving what is beautiful in a culture which more and more celebrates what is gross and ugly is no small thing.