I would highlight a new artist but all I really want to listen to is Adele’s newest album. So here are 10 albums from 10 different artists I think I may be listening to 10 years from now:
1. 21 by Adele – I can’t stop listening to this album. It gets better every time I listen to it. It’s a sonic, vocal and musical masterpiece.
2. Moondance by Van Morrison – Flawless throughout, I never tire of these songs. So many moonlit nights had air filled with the sound of Van singing these tunes.
3. Live at Royal Albert Hall by Bob Dylan – This is easily my favorite Dylan album. These 2-disc piece of history marks his move from acoustic troubadour to bluesy pop icon.
4. Abbey Road by The Beatles – Genius.
5. Lady In Satin by Billie Holiday – Lady Day’s last recording, recorded just weeks before her death and released just after, it is a stunning, hypnotic piece of art. Though technically not her best singing, it is her singing that makes this one her best.
6. Blue Train by John Coltrane – Almost every sermon I’ve ever preached should should this album as a footnote.
7. Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys – I get chills every time Sloop John B starts. Every. Single. Time.
8. Nebraska by Bruce Springsteen – Americana. Gothic. Haunting. Beautiful. Stories.
9. Dusty In Memphis by Dusty Springfield - I’m not sure there would be a Duffy or an Adele without Dusty. Every song is incredible and full of heart-rending soul-deep beauty.
10. Mack the Knife: The Complete Ella in Berlin by Ella Fitzgerald – I bought this on my birthday while living in St. Louis. Autumn was in full swing, winter winds not far behind. And I can’t listen to this album without that moment. That was 10 years ago.
Sure, I could list more…what are some of yours?