I’ve been reading through his books this year. Sanity is what I looked for and sanity is what I found. You can also read the 10 Lessons Learned From Eugene Peterson This Year about Pastoral Work.
1. You can study the Bible without really reading it.
2. It’s OK to not know all the answers.
3. The material world is a gift, not a problem.
4. The Church is not a business with a CEO and investors.
5. Stories are important.
6. Gimmickry kills spirituality.
7. The people Isaiah preached to did not have to go to a Bible dictionary to understand what he was saying.
8. Most people try to be more spiritual than a man who was known as a drunk, glutton and blasphemer. (Spirituality does not always look ‘spiritual.’)
9. Words matter.
10. The first words of man as recorded in Holy Writ are rendered in poetic form.