1. I’m pretty sure that boycott of Chick-fil-a is not going to work. One reason is that every time there is a news story about it I want to eat ten of their chicken sandwiches and drink Chick-fil-a sauce. I can’t be the only one. Another reason is that it may be the stupidest boycott ever.
2. Those of us who can retain a good mood while sick are at a distinct disadvantage over against those who cannot. No one thinks we are really all that sick. We should mope more. The problem is that the only thing I really feel like doing when sick is reading, which just happens to be my favorite thing in the world to do. So I smile.
3. I knew I was sick and should not be at work yesterday when I got emotional trying to get some work done and I kept getting interrupted. Normally I just yell and scream and toss my monitor through the window.
4. Criticism of someone’s theology/convictions should be acceptable and understandable. But when the criticism veers into overt insult something it is damnably wrong. We cannot seek to protect his glory while being unloving to his people.
5. Nick Hornby (High Fidelity, About a Boy) writes in the liner notes for The Gaslight Anthem’s new album, Handwritten, “Anyone who has ever been frustrated by anything – a girl, a boy, a job, a self (especially that) – can listen to this music and feel understood and energised.” Yep.
6. You ever think, “Why does everyone wanna be famous? I just wanna sit outside my home under the night sky with my wife while the kids sleeping soundly”?
7. Talked on the phone with an A29 church planter who joked about me being the guy who *loves* Acts 29 church planters. We laughed heartily. Fact is, I do have quite an affection for many of them. I just think the whole Acts 29 system needs to be rethought. Within its DNA there is trouble brewing in the future. We’ve already felt the tremors.
8. I’ve only worked two days this week and I’ve already had two young girls cry at my desk. This keeps happening to no one else at the branch but me. I’ve gotta be honest it’s what keeps me at it the most. The money is OK. The subject of banking and finance is vaguely interesting. But sitting there making hurting and lonely and scared people feel comfortable for at least a short window of time keeps me at it.
9. For all the problems social media has, I love seeing all the good that is done simply because someone knows about a need and has the means and desire to meet that need. But I still get tired of all the rainbow Jesus pictures. Those are horrible.
10. I don’t think rock’n’roll can save the world. But it sure helps to sing along while Someone else does the saving.