These happen for a reason. A few reasons. First, my brain works like this. Second, while some of these may become a post one day, most don’t have the legs. Third, I get in trouble with my wife if I don’t post them.
1) I hate violence. But more than that, I hate violence against the weak and the powerless.
2) I’m late to the party on NEEDTOBREATHE but my wife and I have really enjoyed listening to them, even though they have the worst band name ever.
3) While I understand the desire for bloggers to write posts about the lessons learned from the Mark Driscoll/Mars Hill debacle, I do not think the time has come for those posts yet. The story is still unfolding. There are real people’s lives still being adversely affected in real time by the ongoing actions and non-action of Driscoll and Mars Hill Leadership. Posts of lessons learned are good clickbait but reduce what is happening without waiting for the fallout. This is not merely the story of what could happen. This is a story of what is happening.
4) Am I the only one who feels more secure when I wear a jacket or coat? Not just against the cold weather, but more secure as a person. I should probably talk to my therapist about that.
5) My daughter has her first “dance” this Friday night and there is not enough Xanax in the world.
6) I keep hearing about so many pastors leaving the ministry to go do something else. I do not blame them so much as want to warn them of what I’ve been through. Maybe they will be more successful outside vocational ministry than I have been. And therefore not as miserable. But it is a little unnerving. I do not judge them. But am unnerved and wonder if something is afoot.
7) Better band name than NEEDTOBREATHE: The Need to, The Need, The Needs, NTB, ntb, (basically anything except what they have), etc.
8) I cannot for the life of me understand all the emphasis on leadership among pastors and minsters. The New Testament has so many admonitions to our leaders and none of them sound like the leadership lessons being bought and sold these days. I’m gonna go out on a limb and assume that the leadership lessons for pastors will not work in the business world. But the lessons of the business world, specifically marketing, are the order of the day.
9) I imagine heaven is a lot like when I’m sitting around the kitchen table laughing with my wife and kids.
10) Just kidding, I don’t have a therapist. #wine