Yesterday’s post was heavy. Let’s talk of something lighter today. Something near and dear to my heart.
I love sandwiches and hardly ever tire of them. Following are 10 sandwiches I enjoy. Feel free to add your favorites in the comments or on Facebook. Apologies to all the awesome sandwiches I do not mention.
1. The Reuben. Easily one of my favorites. Reuben’s come many ways but I’m a fan of rye bread, thin sliced corn beef, Swiss cheese, thousand island and sauerkraut. My favorite is the one I make and eat at home. The best I ever had was in STL at McGurk’s.
2. The Cuban. So simple…simply awesome, that is. Ham, pork, Swiss cheese, pickles and mustard. Had a killer one recently at a mexican place here in Birmingham.
3. Pork Sandwich. You know how rice is a staple for our friends in the East? Bar-B-Q is a staple for the Redmonds. And the pork sandwich is high culinary art in my own subculture. We walk by it in reverence the way you might walk by the Mona Lisa.
4. The Cheeseburger. Does this count? I’m not sure I care. If celebrating the cheeseburger as a sandwich is wrong I don’t wanna be right. Around these parts, Mugshots makes burgers that makes one wonder if the recipe is from God himself.
5. Grilled Peanut Butter and Cheese. I’ve been eating this since I was a kid. My brothers introduced me to this wunderkind between two slices. I know what you’re thinking…but you do eat those crackers…
6. The Spicy Chicken Sandwich. Let’s not even pretend there is another one able to compete with Chick-fil-a. It’s awesome. And perfect. And one of God’s greatest gifts to sinners.
7. The Gyro. Is this a sandwich or wrap. Not sure. I’m craving one though.
8. Philly Cheese Steak. We once had a real Philly Cheese Steak place here in town. But it closed. I hope the owner had really good reason to break my heart like that. But let’s face it, a bad cheese steak sandwich is still mightily awesome.
9. The BLT. It has bacon. ’nuff said.
10. The Hot Dog. Not sure this is a sandwich. But it’s on a bun…or in one, anyway. I love hot dogs with a fervent, relentless passion. Do I want to marry them? Maybe. If they have are covered in cheese and mustard and hot sauce and relish.
Honorable Mention: PBJ. My friend Sean eats ‘em for lunch all the time. I eat them instead of dessert sometimes. And they are amazing grilled.