1. Never has a movie had such catharsis for me. My stuttering and stammering problem has never been as bad as his was. But I know that frustration intimately.
2. I can think of no major motion picture with better acting.
3. He could speak without stuttering while music was playing. I can preach or speak to any number of people and never stutter or stammer. But if you ask me to do announcements, I’m in terrible shape.
4. Now, we have two great movies with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle.
5. I’m not foolish enough to think those who have never had a speech impediment cannot glean much from this film. But they cannot understand how powerful this story is for those of us who often feel trapped in the inability to form the words which are bursting to escape.
6. The subplots of marriage and friendship and sibling rivalry and class and leadership are genius.
7. The set and script and story are like a holy trinity of beauty.
8. I cried so much the girl next to me was probably wondering what my problem was.
9. The same struggles inhabit the hearts and minds… and mouths of royalty and the rest of us.
10. I left feeling speechless. Literally.
I really want to see this. I had a frequently debilitating stutter from 1st grade into first years of college. Creeps back today mostly when I'm on the phone. I hate talking on the phone.
Matt,I don't have a stuttering problem unless it is a public speaking ordeal; then I am a mess. My inability to speak in public & subsequent stammering is so bad that I stopped going to prayer meeting years ago because I couldn't pray in public. When I did go, I got so nervous I got sick and when it was my turn, I would nudge the person next to me and say I was sick, and to skip me. Other times, I would excuse myself mid prayer service & come back in the room when it was over and tell them all I had a queasy stomach & needed a bathroom run. It was always a lie, I just was that petrified of speaking and the resulting stammering.~Tapper
It is a truly great movie and surprisingly funny too.One unexpected outcome was that I thanked God that we went into such a desperate war with the younger brother as King. (Doesn't that have a biblical ring to it…)
Thats crazy Jared and Matt, after getting to 'know' each other over the past year or so I never knew that you guys ever had a stutter/stammer. It is something I've battled a long time…still do sometimes…Like Jared, the phone is an issue for me. I generally avoid phone calls as much as humanly possible. Good to know…I think we've bonded. 🙂
You may like to read my interview with Graeme Duffin, musician and record producer, who also has a stammer. He talks about his work, and also the movie, King's Speechhttp://wrinkledweasel.blogspot.com/p/wavelengths.html