1. Well, the first ever, bona-fide Redmond family vacation is about over. Aaaaand, I’m exhausted.
2. It is a long way from the indestructibility of youth to the reality of being a parent of fragile children.
3. Protip: Listen to The Beatles.
4. Last night (on vacation) I interpreted “Love your neighbor as yourself” as going to get security after waking up at 1 AM so we could actually sleep at the expense of our neighbor’s drunken fun.
5. We are looking into medication to regulate my son’s addiction to Chex Mix.
6. The condo we stayed in may never be the same.
7. The smarts of liberals is always assumed and the dimwittedness of conservatives is a given. If you don’t believe this it is because you are a dimwitted conservative.
8. Speaking of politics, I support a constitutional amendment banning 10 AM check-out times.
9. Having cable for a few days reminds me why I hate TV – the shows and the commercials. Besides that, it’s great.
10. We need another word over against “vacation” to describe what you are doing when you have multiple kids and go somewhere.
#10. It is a trip with kids. It is a vacation with your wife.
10. With kids it's not a vacation, it's a transfer of location. Exact same life, just prettier view. :)11. Please never read Ann Coulter again. Thank you.
I heartily concur with 3and I have the same experience of 9 every holiday – haven't had one of those things since 1993 (TV not holiday!)
I'm not sure what the allowed reading list is…If I had not read Ann Coulter, I would have never found "Witness" by Whittaker Chambers. I would have thought Alger Hiss was falsely accused of being a communist operative. I would have thought the Rosenbergs were innocent. I would have thought McCarthy falsely accused all those people of being communists (they were and it is a matter of public record) and I would have never known it was the Republicans who were responsible for all the civil rights legislation from Lincoln all the way through the Civil Rights Act of '64 and that the democrats only started to give a damn when Blacks were allowed to vote (thanks to Republicans), that is when they started to care. You may have known these things, I did not.