1) One of the more profound things you learn in the midst of prolonged difficulty is what is solid and what is not, what will support and what will not.
2) Each passage of Holy Writ, like a bottomless mine, is inexhaustible in wealth.
3) I know it is common to say “baseball is boring.” But that was not the common opinion 50 to 60 years ago. We have changed more than the game.
4) When I say “We ignored the poets and then we got Miley Cyrus,” I am not making a mere moral statement. I mean that we chose spectacle over thoughtful. We are a culture that demands to be entertained at all waking moments. So of course, Miley Cyrus and Lady Gaga are the inevitable result.
5) Me: The Cards won last night and they get to play in the NLCS!
Knox: Yesssss!…What’s that daddy?
Emma: Well, I learned how a bill becomes a law yesterday.
6) It is a regular occurrence that I sit across the desk from someone that is dying or has just lost a loved one. Two yesterday. Best part of my job.
7) There are some things you can say to yourself for comfort that are not always comforting words to others who are hurting. If I tell myself God is Sovereign over my suffering, I may very well be comforted. But I need to know that may not always be very comforting to someone else in the midst of their suffering.
8) It is only our need for entertainment that makes it easy for us to ignore the warnings about CTE.
9) I’m always feel like something is missing when enjoying something without my wife present.
10) Applied for a Hospice Chaplain position, feel free to pray for me. That I would get the job and and that if I don’t, I would not despair.