1. “Don’t be afraid.” – The King
2. I have learned a great deal from reading Dallas Willard’s books over the past six months. But one thing stands out. He is right – memorizing long passages of scripture and not just verses is formative. And once those words get in you, those words are in you when the bottom falls out.
3. We are reading Keller’s The Prodigal God as a small group, and discussing it with those friends is possibly better than reading it for the first time.
4. I have been off social media for about two months now. When someone says, “Have you heard?” my answer is now almost always “nope.”
5. Yesterday I went to Publix and picked up some flowers for Bethany. While I was going through the checkout line, “Oh Sherrie” by Steve Perry played in the background. Last night after Bethany and I went to dinner, we stopped by the same Publix and as we approached the checkout line, “Oh Sherrie” started up again. #shouldabeengone
6. If anyone has read a good biography of Emily Dickinson, let me know.
7. Dieting will help you transform into the image of this world’s picture of beauty. Fasting will help you transform into the image of Christ.
8. I finished Augustine’s Confessions last week. But really it’s the kind of book that finishes you.
9. There is no safer place than the path on which you follow the King in his kingdom.
10. “For the Day After Our 21st”
We woke up in that Embassy Suites
in Homewood and ate omelettes that tasted
like the joy I bet Adam and Eve knew
when they woke up for their first full day –
Eve with no need for a new blouse
and Adam with one less rib.
We drove to Atlanta,
ate fried chicken,
boarded a plane,
and flew to Newport News –
where the biting wind made us laugh.
We drove in the dark.
All I remember now is eating at
that Ruby Tuesday’s in Williamsburg
which is a restaurant no one cares for.
But I only see you and me,
and how every moment was alive,
whenever we drive by one on the way to somewhere else.