2. I’m on my second book about Tom Petty now. And it’s rare for me to like a guy as famous as he is more after the reading. But I do like him more. He is a truly nice guy, who is always free with kind things to say about others. He effuses them. Plus he’s a great songwriter.
3. I should hit my goal of losing 20 pounds in a few days. I’ll weigh pretty close to what I did when I got married. And I’m eating a ton of what I can eat.
4. We went to the Samford University’s women’s volleyball game last night and it was awesome. I understood very little but it was a lot of fun. Seriously, I understood nothing.
5. I realized yesterday as I was studying Romans how much of my understanding I take for granted. So much has been shaped by Cranfield and Luther that I’ll read a verse in Greek and already have in my head an idea of what I think Paul is saying. Then I’ll go to Cranfield and realize I have that idea because I’ve used those commentaries so much over the years. It’s humbling and it makes me glad I spent the money for them.
6. I never get tired of “Insider” from the album Hard Promises. It’s a lesser known duet Petty does with Stevie Nicks. The more popular bring “Stop Dragging My Heart Around” that’s on Nicks’ Bella Donna. But “Insider” surpasses it and is simply one of the best melodies I’ve ever heard.
7. It’s like my kids sit around and try to make up jokes. Not a day goes by that they are not trying out a joke or riddle on us. All three of them do it. You think it sounds sweet? When they are funny, sure. But then there’s those times when they are terrible and you have to walk that too thin line of truth and kind encouragement.
8. I do love getting a new record in the mail from Amazon in 2 days but I’m waiting on a Petty record to come from an independent seller and it’s taking forever. Just like when I was a kid. It’s kinda nice actually.
9. Three day weekends are about three days too short.
10. I still look at Bethany and say, “wow.” Someone is going to think that’s shallow. I just think it’s awesome.