- One of the things I love about the Bible is I can read something like 1 Peter, which I have read so many times before, and because of some change in my life, what I am reading is something new and fresh.
2. I have more than once been counseling a client and in the moment thought, “I really need to take my own advice on this.” Not sure it should or could be any other way and feel like I’m doing anything helpful.
3. Last weekend, Bethany and I watched the documentary, Jesus Music. I enjoyed it but much of it made me sad. But maybe not for the reason you think. I do not like “worship music.” At all. Now some of you probably just gasped. And that is the problem. The worship music industry is a billion dollar industry in which churches must pay for the rights to use music to, wait for it, worship the King. But that is not even what I dislike the most about worship music. It has taken over Christian music. When I was in high school and college there were incredible bands like the 77s, The Choir, Daniel Amos, The Altar Boys, The Prayer Chain, Poor Old Lu and dozens of others that sang about reality from a Christian perspective. There is no room for those bands anymore (and no stores to buy them in also). And if worship music is the default, then what if you don’t like the style? What does that say to a kid who does not like that style of music? I am so thankful I had those bands to listen to back when I was young (and now) because if all I had were derivative Coldplay meets Carrie Underwood sounding songs from 10 years ago, I am not sure what the effect would have been. Some of those bands were a huge part of my continuing to follow Jesus.
4. In Philippians 2:14, Paul says, “Do everything without grumbling or arguing.” The Greek word for “everything” is hard because it means “everything.” And we have Facebook.
5. As a counselor, it is painful to hear of what has been done to my clients when they were children. I usually joke and say the hardest part of counseling is clients keeping their appointments. But it’s not true. This is the hardest –– hearing about what those in authority have done to children.
6. I have not gotten a record in the mail in at least a week. I should get a prize
7. Tim Keller could post, “Jesus is God,” and someone would find a reason to argue with him.
8. Even though we don’t watch football, I do plan on having Super Bowl food on Sunday night while watching something on Discovery Plus.
9. The bigger the church, the less transparency when things go wrong. And the greater the harm done.
10. A lot could be understood about our culture if we realize how much undue importance we place on sports.