1. Last night after cleaning the kitchen, Bethany and I sat in the living room and listened to Jason Isbell records and the songs of the Cicadas outside. The fireflies swirled outside the window. Dusk settled. Sometimes we sang along and once or twice the silence of the needle between those hometown songs made the moment even more so of what it already had been. I want 1000 evenings like this.
2. My fantasy team appears to be on strike.
3. I started a new Wendell Berry book last night. Every page a wonder. No one writes like him.
4. Once again, someone has asked why I’m buying music on vinyl. I do it because it’s more expensive and because they are not portable. The price and the inconvenience means I have to stop and listen to an album for awhile. It’s an investment. And it forces me to sit and listen actively. It’s not just entertainment or background music.
5. On my Facebook feed the other day, I saw someone mocking the idea of a completely sovereign God and the doctrine of Predestination because they said it didn’t make sense. I guess that’s unlike the Trinity and Jesus being fully human and fully man.
6. One effect of the diet I’m on is I’m able to stay up and read each night. Previously, two pages in and I was done. Now I’m reading multiple chapters. Plus I’m sleeping through the night. It’s been years since I’ve done that.
7. Hate war. Love those left behind in its terrible Father and son stealing wake.
8. I hope I grow into an old man longing for young people to hear the comfort of the gospel. I don’t want to be a man of frowns and disgust.
9. Can I point out something awkward? Bathing suits.
10. Me: The thing about this diet is that I’m always hungry.
Friend: That’s no different than before.
Me: Okay, yeah