1. I love the Psalms…David is like, “You have totally forgotten me and neglected me God, life is awful, my enemies have surrounded me and want to kill me, but are a faithful God, I know that, and now I will sing a song to you.” So when life is hard, maybe we should think, “I will sing along to those worship songs based on Coldplay song structures because it is good for me.”
2. To be honest, I’d be more excited if Chick-fil-A took over Twitter.
3. Contrary to popular opinion, you don’t have to watch the news. Ever. You’re welcome.
4. Just spit-balling here but it may not be a good idea to treat our kids as celebrities with photo sessions for every occasion.
5. It’s true that nothing can separate us from the love of God in Christ. But when I was a kid, nothing could separate me from my parent’s love. And yet I would often go through seasons when I looked for every opportunity to be nowhere near them and to use them for their gifts. I wanted the car keys to get away. I did not seek out their presence just to be with them. And I suffered as a result.
6. My wife is on a women’s retreat right now and I don’t know what to do.
7. I have never regretted sitting down and reading my Bible.
8. As a counselor I give more homework now than I did as a teacher.
9. I read Paul’s letter to the Philippians a lot. And I noticed recently he is not too worried about the motives of preachers as long as Jesus is preached (1:12-20). So then it dawned on me that I shouldn’t be too worried about the motives of Hillsong, Bethel, et al. So I stand corrected on that.
10. Against all odds, Anne Wilson’s new album, My Jesus, is my favorite right now. Bethany says some of the songs sound like sitting in the back of the truck drinking beer music and I am kinda okay with that as long as we talk about the complex characters of Jane Austen Austen novels too. Videos below.