(Updated: See #10)
1. You may have thought I was crazy when I wrote Food Is the New Legalism but even the NYT agrees.
2. Kinky Friedman is supportive of Rick Perry for President. Weirdly awesome.
3. Every time I turn around someone is making a positive case for my upcoming book.
4. Even Hipsters are abandoning Obama.
5. Moms, you should really be reading my friend Anita’s blog.
6. A great response to Tim Challies’ regarding the SGM controversy.
7. This Frank Lloyd Wright blog completes me.
8. In case you missed it, I have an article over here.
9. A photo album of Condolezza Rice and other bizarre items found inside the Gadaffi compound.
10. I’m being called a “negative influence” on a private forum by at least one pastor because I wrote this after lots of thinking and then reading this. I appreciate the increased traffic. (Update: The pastor referred to above sent me a very sincere apology. A rare thing in this world. I actually had no idea who it was that said this, I just knew he was part of A29. You should be so
lucky providentially blessed to have such a pastor as this guy.)
Update: An Insider’s View of the SGM Controversy
Earlier today Tim Challies wrote about what is going on in Sovereign Grace Ministries. I was at first glad to see this but then absolutely astounded. He believes this is a “personal” matter between C.J. Mahaney and Brent Detwiler, which the later has elevated to tabloid journalism and he should have just left it to the Lord to handle.
Detwiler has already responded briefly and states he will do so more thoroughly later but I wanted to weigh in with a few thoughts.
1. I cannot for the life of me understand how Challies could call this a personal matter after reading the documents. Indeed, I have trouble believing he did read them. The concerns which Detwiler and others (making it by definition not personal) have been going to Mahaney about for years involve many other people and the way Mahaney has lead them and the denomination. Add to this, much of Detwiler’s concerns are in regards to the SGM board – how can this be called merely personal? Sure it’s personal but not only merely personal.
2. Challies, with a wave of the hand, dismissed the blogs and refused to discuss the concerns. That’s rich. I can only assume he would not want to discuss the handling of sexual abuse cases and the hundreds if not thousands of lives represented on the blogs. By ignoring the blogs Challies is able to give the impression that this is only a personal disagreement between Mahaney and Detwiler.
3. For Challies (on his own blog by the way) to decry the public nature of it all is ridiculous. Detwiler sent his documents to other pastors in SGM, no one outside SGM. Someone else leaked them. Why would someone do this? Because Mahaney and SGM have worldwide influence and their books, songs and sermons swim into the ears of thousands upon thousands. Again, how could such problems be called merely personal.
I am incredulous. There is no way to read these documents and think this is merely a personal matter