Everyone else has weighed in on Tebow. Why not me? Some of these are the beginnings of blogposts unto themselves. And they may show up someday. But for now, ten thoughts on Tebow and all the criticism.
1. If you are a believer, any discussion of Tebow should be colored by an understanding that he is our brother. This doesn’t preclude criticism but it should color it differently.
2. Tebow has the jaw line of a cartoon Batman.
3. Am I the only one who gets the feeling this is the the cool kids not liking the not-cool kids?
4. What does Tebow now have to do to earn the respect of the commentators who were/are his critics? My guess? Stop talking about his faith and/or win a Superbowl.
5. The only player who has a better winning percentage than him is Aaron Rodgers. Aaron Freakingundefeatedhalloffamebound Rodgers.
6. I just assume this is all about our culture’s desire for edgy heroes. You want edgy? You can have Alec Baldwin, Xavier and Cincinnati’s basketball team and Miley Cyrus.
7. One of the criticisms of Tebow is he will not be able to keep up this kind of winning and will eventually not do well. Of course, those who say this do not think he will not keep up this kind of wining and get better.
8. We now live in a culture where Christians get all excited because of a vaguely spiritual line from unbelieving musicians and recoil at the overt faith of a professed believer in the gospel.
9. Respect of players > opinion of commentators.
10. I actually thought that after the Sandusky/Paterno revelations, people would long for heroes like Tebow. Silly me.