Thursday’s Random Thoughts

We have created a paradigm of happiness v. joy in evangelicalism with no real biblical precedent. To the point of not being able to think about these “things’ anyway else.

I wonder what music was playing in the heavens when God brought Eve to Adam.

I long for the start of baseball season the way my kids long for Christmas.

I’m afraid Downton Abbey is veering towards a ramp with a shark on the other side.

I’d rather be listening to Townes van Zandt.

Seven years ago, Bethany and I were in the middle of week of living in a hospital room with a newborn Knox who would stop breathing while sleeping. Last night he did 100 jumping jacks in front of me.

I’m tired of grasping at book sales.

Back on the 16th of May, 1990 I saw Townes Van Zandt open for the Cowboy Junkies on the Caution Horses tour. The *show* was at Sloss Furnace and I wish I’d paid a little more attention.

I’m stepping away from the edges of social media for awhile. I’ll still do some blogging.

7 thoughts on “Thursday’s Random Thoughts

1. Julie Anne January 31, 2013 / 11:39 am

“I wonder what music was playing in the heavens when God brought Eve to Adam. ”

So beautiful, Matt. A lot of women don’t feel like this in patriarchal churches. A lot of them don’t know that “this” exists.

2. haley January 31, 2013 / 11:47 am

back on the 16th of may in 1990 i was born

3. natalietrust January 31, 2013 / 6:59 pm

” It can crush your soul if you are expected in your job to do to others what you would not want done to you.”

Yes…having worked in the field of social service, I can attest to this feeling.

Thanks for your thoughts, Matt.

4. Dudley January 31, 2013 / 10:03 pm

Always rich, even when random.

5. budderpopcorn February 5, 2013 / 4:17 pm

Happiness v. joy. And add to it “contentment”! I find it stultifying as well and too have wondered about its biblical foundation. Do you know of any exegetical study on the topic perhaps? That’d be a good place to start….

• mattbredmond February 5, 2013 / 8:17 pm

An exegetical study on the topic of happiness v. joy? Or contentment? There may be something among the tattered pages of this blog on contentment…can’t remember. But I’ve often told young people they are wrong on contentment…you can be content where you are and still long for something else. Desire is not the hobgoblin of being content.